Jul 27, 2006

Blogger Comments Hack Live - Dare I Say v1.6?

Keep your fingers crossed, but I think I have the Recent Comments functionality working in the sidebar now! I thought it would be a bit trickier, but it really wasn't that difficult to implement. I still probably have a few formatting tweaks to make, but the feature is functional.

A note about how this feature works. One first has to create a separate Blogger page to host the comments. Your original blog is then configured to email notifications of any comments to a Gmail account. Gmail then auto-forwards the comment email (via filter rules) to the comment blog, which then auto-posts them. Finally, a script pulls the comments from the RSS feed of the comment blog, and inserts them in the sidebar of your blog (or wherever). Pretty easy! (Seeing as I'm standing on the shoulders of giants and simply using scripts that others so generously coded and distributed, hehe!)

Many thanks again to Greg, John, and the rest of the crew over at Freshblog for their great tutorial and script!!! If you're using Blogger for your page and want to add more functionality, Freshblog is the place to visit!

4 comments:

Lance Miller said...

Just adding some test comments - ignore the man behind the curtain!

xxjksdhf sdkhj sdkljflkj sldkjf lskjdf lkjsdlfkj lsdkjf lksjdf lksdj flksjd flsdjkf lskjdf lksjdf lkjlksdfjl lkj dflkj lksjdf lkj lksjf lkj lskdjf osidujfo iwj fwiojf lkjsdlfkj owiejf oiwjf sildjf lsdkjf oklsj fosdi fj0weijf 0wij fosidjf osijdf 0wj e0fj 0wjfe 0sijdf oisdj f0wjef0 9wj e09fj w09ejf 0w9ejf 09wjef sdiojf oisdj

Greg said...

Hello,

Hope you don't mind me throwing in another test comment:

check one-TWO ... check one-TWO ...

*tap* *tap*

SCREE-E-E-E-EECH!!

Thanks.

Lance Miller said...

Wow - I'm glad you threw in that comment, Greg! You caught a bug for me. I had made a mistake in my Gmail filter, and only comments from me would be sent to the comment blog - thanks!!

Lance Miller said...

Jay!!! Yep, it's me. Good to hear from you, and I'll send you an email so I know you recieve something back.

Very cool to hear from you!